Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Devil that Dared the Comet...







We all have that moment. That time when we look into the stars and see the Void in all its wonder. We begin to lose track of time and forget the Fly Safe rules, always check D-Scan. And such it happen to me. I was in the Void. My Grooveshark playing in the background as I chatted on voice comms and in chat windows, when a suddenly a ship pulls out of warp drive. A lone Daredevil, I quickly tried to align out of my orbit and warp away, but it was two late. An overheated warp distributor caught me and I began to take damage. With nothing left to do and submitting that my ship was lost I locked the target and opened fire, I released my Warrior II scout drones and turned on my MWD.  I was going to fight...

When asked about Daredevils EVEwiki says that the Guardian Angel Frigate is a tough nut to crack. It carries with it a 200% bonus to Hybrid Turret damage, a 10% bonus to Falloff range, and lastly a 10% bonus to the Velocity factor of Stasis Webifiers. The ship, like my Comet, can be used as both a brawler or Solo Kite as it has good speed and great damage. With a faction stasis web it will also slow ships down to a point where it can easily pick them off.

Normally this is not a fight that I want to engage in. In most cases Pirate faction ships are better than that Navy Faction as they are more like a Tech 2 ship requiring two sets of skills to train. Also there were two other pilots in the system I was in and I was unsure who was all flying together. But never the less I was put into a corner and forced to swap blows. 

He chewed through my shield rather fast which was to be expected as my Comet's shield are low and my ship is designed to speed tank. With only a Warp Disruptor he is unable to turn off my MWD though and I am able to pull some range and gain speed on him, giving me a chance to start my speed tank.

Here is where I noticed something odd. First he was only moving at 1087km/s this told mt that he was not MWD fitted but he had an Afterburner. Second my drones were not taking damage, meaning that, he could not track the fast Warrior IIs to shoot them down. Knowing this I saw that I could win this fight as long as a stay out of his Web's range. Unable to shoot my drones meant that I could apply DPS with them and my 125mm rail guns were not as an important factor for dealing damage. So I change my orbital plan and set a course to keep him in a  24km range, the range of my Warp Disputor II. I also over heated it giving it an added 3km range. Then I found what he was aligning too and did the same. Watching his ship and making corrections to my flight path to keep my transversal velocity closer to 0 allowed for my guns to hit after a change in ammo.

It was only a matter of time before he died. After the fight I swooped in and scooped the loot, interested to see what he had. The Killmail showed a faction web and Dread Guristas Ammo some of the most expensive in the game. Over all I felt that it was a good fight, it is always fun to kill a ship that is 100 million more ISK than your own. But looking at the fit I was not as impressed as I was during the fight. But still it was "GF" and you know what, that 80 mill ISK faction web will sell and looks nice in the wallet.

Kill linked below
Killmail

No comments:

Post a Comment